Race Report | Folksworth 15

Folksworth 15 has been one of the most talked about races since I started running a year ago. Due to being so close to Peterborough and its use of some pretty nasty hills it makes a great training race for anyone looking to complete a spring marathon.

I set out to run the race as close to my predicted marathon pace as possible which is 11:30 mm, I was running with Liz & Sarah and our aim was just to get round and enjoy the race as much as possible. The race sells out fairly fast and with nearly 500 people running there is a great buzz on the day. The only downside I have to mention is there is a 3 hour time limit (although this doesn't appear too be too strict) I feel this will put alot of non running club runners from entering. I was actually concerned about finishing before the cut off and I don't see myself as a slower runner anymore (not something I ever thought I would say).

The race is made up of two exact loops, made up of 3 pretty nasty hills. The first is a long slow incline, the second is torture, also know as a long slow incline followed by a steep short burst, which when you think you are finally at the top you turn a corner to reveal more and a short steep hill at mile 7/14.

 Still happy at mile 7 on the first loop. Just before the hill!

I was so happy to be running this race with Liz and Sarah, we all just got down to it and got it done. We chatted the whole way round and made fun of the day, helping each other as we all went through our individual moments of flagging.

There was plenty of water stations on route and most marshals were vocal in cheering us on. Bushfield had a huge turn out of marshals and support and the the support was amazing.


Just about managing a smile at mile 14.

It felt nice to finish strong and fairly comfortably. The three of us even managed a sprint finish with a line of 5 or 6 cars behind us as we were blocking the road. On crossing the finish line we were promptly handed a bottle of water, a mars bar and a very good technical t-shirt.

Results were processed the same day due to the event being chip timed. 

We finished in exactly 2:43:00 dead on. Meaning we averaged 10:52's for 15 miles. Maybe with proper training over the next 4 months I could bring my marathon pace down to 11 mm. 

Overall a great race & day.

No comments:

Post a Comment